What is a Bondservant?

There seems to be a lot of interest in the term Bondservant.  And there is more then one answer to what a Bondservant is.  Many of the New Testament’s authors counted themselves Bondservant (depending on the Bible Version you read, it may say servants.)

James starts off in James 1:1 saying:

“James, a bondservant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ…”

The Term Bondservant here comes from the word dulos.  And is defined as:

1. a slave, bondman, man of servile condition
  1. a slave
  2. metaph., one who gives himself up to another’s will those whose service is used by Christ in extending and advancing his cause among men
  3. devoted to another to the disregard of one’s own interests
  • a servant, attendant

The best definition here is “devoted to another to the disregard of one’s own interests.” On its basic level a bondservant is simply following your master to complete disregard of your own will, emotions, desires.

To put it into contrast of being a Bondservant of Christ, it means a complete and utter devotion to God, His word, and His will.  It is disregarding your own desires and will in all things to lay your life at the Cross and follow Christ.  It is not being perfect, yet it is a dedication to following God in all things.

A Bondservant is to love as Christ loved; to walk as Christ walked.  It means standing strong when you are weak and have nothing left.  It means not letting up, giving up, or putting up with anything less then a true and full releationship with God as a friendship and partnership through this world, doing His will.  Being a Bondservant is Standing strong on the Word of God while seeking God first, above all else.  Everything is secondary to your relationship with Him.

Being a bondservant means taking responsibility of your own walk with God through personal study of his word, and personal and corporate prayer.  It means the Word of God is your foundation with Christ Himself as the Cornerstone of your life.  Its having faith in the best and worst of times knowing that in the end you belong to God. Being a bondservant means knowing only you can stand in the way of a deep and meaningful walk with God. It means you accept responsibility for your walk and bring everything you learn to God’s word and prayer to determine it’s truth against God’s word.

Being a bondservant means not letting sin get you down.  It means if you fall, you get up, seek forgiveness, and move on learning what you can do not to let it happen in the future.  It is a dedication to purity and seeking that purity through a walk that spans your life.

Here are some scriptures I think encompass some of the essence of being a bondservant.

2 Peter 1:1 through 2 Peter 1:12 (NKJV)

1 Simon Peter, a bondservant and apostle of Jesus Christ,To those who have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ:
2Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
5But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 For he who lacks these things is shortsighted, even to blindness, and has forgotten that he was cleansed from his old sins.

10 Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble; 11 for so an entrance will be supplied to you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. 12 For this reason I will not be negligent to remind you always of these things, though you know and are established in the present truth.

This is a heavy scripture reference. There is a lot of things going on in this. Let’s try and break it down a bit. Peter starts off identifying himself and his station if you will (bondservant and apostle). I believe he is addressing this, at least in part, to those who seek to walk in closeness with God. Now verse two starts off with what really is a promise. Knowledge of God and Jesus brings grace and peace. Why? Let’s move on and see. God called us to Him, by his glory and virtue. In as such He has also given us all things that pertain to life and godliness through Christ. By Christ he has given us promises through His word. By partaking, or putting our faith in His word, these promises; we become partakers of God’s divine nature. Now that’s sounds like a pretty heavy thing but in truth what it really means is that we become more like Him. In the end isn’t that what our walks are about? Becoming like Christ is at the Core of being a bondservant and a Christian.

Now by trusting in God and His word we also “escape the corruption that is in the world through lust.” By studying God’s word, and being a doer of the word (not a hearer only as James 1 says) we enable the process of growing in our walks and relationships with God. And in truth our walk with God is a relationship. And you cannot grow in a relationship with anyone if you don’t actively participate in it.

He goes on to list some qualities here that all Christians should be actively trying to develop in their lives. The qualities listed below I believe are very important to being a bondservant.

Virtue
knowledge
self-control
perseverance
godliness
brotherly
kindness
love

Galatians 2:20 through Galatians 2:21 (NKJV)

20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me. 21 I do not set aside the grace of God; for if righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain.”

When we we look at our lives it should be through the eyes of Christ. This verse is very specific with what our outlook should truly be. “It is no longer I who live” we died with Christ. Our faith is what accomplishes this, our repentance and asking God to forgive us, and accepting Christ as our Lord and savior. “But Christ who lives in me”. This is at the very core of being a bondservant. My life isn’t my own, I don’t live for me but I live for Christ who lives in me. Our lives should be lived in faith in the Son of God. We need to trust Him, to walk for Him, and embrace His will as our own. Why? Because it is no longer we who live but Christ who lives in us. I cannot die in Christ and live for myself.

1 John 2:3 through 1 John 2:7 (NKJV)

3 Now by this we know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments. 4 He who says, “I know Him,” and does not keep His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. 5 But whoever keeps His word, truly the love of God is perfected in him. By this we know that we are in Him. 6 He who says he abides in Him ought himself also to walk just as He walked.
7 Brethren, I write no new commandment to you, but an old commandment which you have had from the beginning. The old commandment is the word which you heard from the beginning.

Now this doesn’t directly apply to being a bondservant but more as a general rule that all Christians should be mindful of.  You disobey God’s word and say you Know God.  If we screw up and fail, there is forgiveness.  But to walk how you will and say I’ll just repent latter is a no no.  Also you CANNOT just say I am a Christian or bondservant of God and not be obedient to His word, the two go hand and hand.  Lip service or obedience, there is no fence walking or grey areas here.  Sin is sin and obedience is obedience. They cannot co-exist.

Now you may be asking yourself what’s the difference between being a Christian and being a bondservant, and is their a difference.  This is my opinion, but I would say there is a difference. Being a bondservant to me is about dedicating yourself to the mindset of Galatians 2:20-21 listed above.   I believe that scripture is at the heart of a bondservant.  A total dedication of faith in God, trusting Him and His word.  A dedication to not giving up in your walk with Him.  If you fail, you get up, ask forgiveness and move on and learn from it.  You don’t stay a week at grief motel because you failed once.  It’s a total and complete single mindedness to living life for God.  To having a close relationship and friendship with God and yes you can be friends with God.  Most of all it’s seeking to make God’s heart and will your own, this means love.  God is love.  Jesus’ ministry was founded on Love.  God so loved the world He sent His son to die for our sins.  Love is and always should be our motivator.  God’s love, not our own or the world’s misguided love.  1 Corinthians 13 love.  A love that puts others above ourselves.   A love that’s willing to give more then just a word of well wishing like James 2 says.  A love that remembers those in need.

I’ve dedicated this site to helping people discover what being a bondservant is.  If you have a question feel free to comment below or see the link in the menu for how to email me.

89 Responses to What is a Bondservant?

1. cindi says:

Praise God, I am doing a teaching (women group) on what a bond servant look like in everyday life

2. Mike says:

Ephesians 6:16-17 — Bondservents, be obedient to those who are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in sincerity of heart, as to Christ; Not with eyeservice, as menpleasers, but as bondservants of christ, doing the will of God from the heart.

Does this mean that those who are legal slaves should treat their servitude as if they were in servitude to christ? In other words, slaves should not seek freedom from their masters?

3. thea says:

i am one. how would any know unless they were. iam

4. Ayo says:

Thank you for your detailed definition of a bond servant.

5. Bondservant says:

Mike slaves in that time were not quite the same as our understanding of slave. Think more indentured servant. The way I relate that verse to modern life is to work for my employer as I would if Christ himself were my employer. And I don’t see anywhere that it says they couldn’t seek their freedom.

6. Alipin ng Dios says:

You presented it very well. Superb!
    Let me add from other source – Bondservant means to labor without wages.
    That’s how we serve God, His Church and the world for free.

7. Angelo says:

Keep encouraged as you work in the Kingdom of God

8. Regina says:

As I study, and apply God’s word…even now it brings me to tears because I know I don’t always die daily, but I know its my hearts desire!

9. Scott says:

Its weird,but that’s how my life is! So this helped a lot THANKS

10. angie says:

I don’t see a whole lot of labor with out wages going on, all the “heads” of all the churchs seem to be plump and doing just fine while they cram their words down hungry, hurting, worn out and even strung out people getting food baskests, only to get home and find out you can’t eat most of it because it’s out dated and being a stomach cancer patient you can’t take a chance. Great now my trash can is full! I LOVE GOD WITH ALL MY MIGHT, maybe many of us bondservants are true wittness to soooooooooooooo much wrong going on. A true bondservant of God, from the trenches WHERE IT MATTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Bondservant says:

What we see is not always what is. I’ve learned that many times over in my life when it comes to churches and the like. What God teaches me every day seems to make me look back on my thoughts and actions from years past and cringe. Faith is a muscle, it must be used to grow. Yet in each one of these churches, wither we see it or not, God can have his people. It is not for us to Judge another man’s servant. It is for us to stand up and walk our faith with God. I’m responsible for my walk, another man is responsible for his own walk and beliefs and it is only my job to pray, follow God, and teach to others of that which God has taught to me. But there are wolves in sheep’s clothing within God’s body. And this is why it is ever so important that we follow God ourselves and bring everything we are taught to God in prayer and study of his word. Study to show YOURSELF approved. A pastor’s job as I see it is to train a man to walk with God. To train them to study God’s word and walk in His ways. Not to direct lives as they see fit. But I think I shall abstain from judgment and lean toward prayer for those individuals in churches that give me pause.

12. Kyle says:

I’m striving to get that bond with Jesus so i can be a servant. God bless and keep you!

13. Dustin says:

Slaves were often set free, some chose to continue serving out of love. The term bondservant as I understand it means to continue serving after being set free. In the same way the slaves were set free and then CHOSE to serve…we have been set free and are now able to serve Christ. The action of being set free brings the whole image into focus. It’s all about the free Grace of the Master. As a token of sincerity the slaves would then pierce their ears with an awl on the frame of their masters house. This piercing indicated a servant for life. Making them bonded for life–just as we are. The only difference Christ took the piercings for us…

14. Tim Lawrence says:

Thank you for this concise description of a bondservant. I am a pastor of a small church and am beginning a study of the Book of Romans. In order for Romans to be understood in the context of what the true gospel is and how it is to be lived out an understanding of a biblical bondservant is a must. You did a great job with this.

15. Bondservant says:

Thanks for the kind words. It’s a topic very dear to my heart.

16. Marty says:

I just wanted to thank you for some very good definition of a bondservant as well as very wise and gracious responses to those who posted here. I appreciate your communication style which truly imparts grace to the hearer. Be encouraged and keep up the great work in the Lord. May the Joy of the Lord be your strength. I’m also doing a teaching on bondservants and this site has been so helpful. thank you.

17. PJC1983 says:

I see how the 2 Peter passage describes being a bondservant, but how does the Galatians and 1 John passage do that? It sounds like you’re implying that they do, but I’m not so sure.

18. Chris DeLaPaz says:

thanks brother this was great peace be with you

19. Bondservant says:

Great Questions about the scriptures! Love em!

The Galatians scripture, to me, is the best summary of the mindset. A bondservant gave up his own will to embrace his masters. He bound himself to his master. In all respects giving our lives to Christ is the same. I don’t live for myself any longer, I live for Christ, through faith in him. I do this because He gave himself for me and it is by this grace I am alive and free. This is my motivation for wanting to be a bondservant of God. It’s at the core why I strive to embrace God’s will over my own. I live for God and His will. John 3:30 John the Baptist stated “He must increase, but I must decrease.” Granted He spoke largely in terms of Jesus ministry and his own but I think that truthfully it speaks of our walks with God in General. Let God increase in me and Let me decrease. Let His will increase and mine decrease.

The scripture for 1 John scripture is more to point that walking as a bondservant, or just walking after God in general is more then lip service. It’s not to say I’m the Lord’s bondservant and then walk as we will. But if we walk as God’s word states, remembering it, we walk in God’s truth. There’s no middle ground or fence to straddle. Without the action our faith is incomplete. As it says in James, Faith if not accompanied by works is dead. To me walking as a bondservant is much more then just a claim. It’s a commitment. To not give up, let up, shut up, but to to walk and do as God asks. Follow His will. We can’t just say we know God and not follow His word when it’s inconvenient. To walk as a bondservant means committing to this. Doesn’t mean we won’t screw up but it does mean we repent, dust ourselves off, learn from it, and move on. Not letting it hold us back in guilt.

20. Bruce says:

I had a dream about a year ago. I saw a beautiful light blue road before me that went up through a very ruff, rocky mountain pass. Written on the road in white letters was the word, “Bondservant.” I took it too mean that the future of my environment was about to become very ruff but if I were to stay on the road of a Bondservant, I would have a smooth road to walk. Thank you for your web site. I am very interested in finding out what God considers a Bondservant to be and ordering my life to fit that definition. Thank you!

21. Dorris says:

God inspired site for the end time workers Going about the Fathers Business to connect.

22. Mark says:

Thank you for your posting and the great comments. Early on, the greatest challenge I had with this was the loss of freedom by becoming a slave (not even an indentured servant) to Christ. I am growing to learn more that I was once a slave to sin, owned by sin and the Destroyer. I praise God that through the sacrifice of Jesus and his “tetelestai,” my sin has been paid in full. Through His purchase I now celebrate the freedom of being a slave (doulos) of Christ, existing through His care and provision. I continue to long for better understanding of how to live as a fully devoted slave. Thanks again.

23. Bondservant says:

Great thoughts Mark. The process is definitely a journey. I learn new things every day and try to post what I can here. But the processes of understanding, is a journey and we just have to walk in such a way as to win the prize.

Dorris thanks for the very kind words about the site.

24. Kolawole Olatunde says:

I just googled bondservant and waoh! This explanation is mindblowing and insiteful (definitely inline with the scripture). I will still look at it deeper but thank you for bringing this forth by the help of the Holy Spirit. God bless you.
    Hope to get more aquinted with this site but please how?

25. Bondservant says:

Thanks for the kind words. Feel free to ask questions or even offer some ideas for content. Email me at bondservant AT gmail dot com. I struggle with my health a bit so my blog doesn’t get updated as much but I always get back to those who email me.

26. Tina says:

Thank you so much. Awesome bible study. Started reading Romans 1:1 decided to look up bondservant, thank you Jesus. My study time was well spent on one word. And I need to step up my walk.

27. Bondservant says:

Thanks for your kinds words Tina. I had a similar experience years ago and that effected my walk to a great degree. It can be a serious eye opener.

28. eunice says:

Great insight on the explanation of the bond servant..i’ve been saved and always prayed to God to show me how to live and love like Christ. reading Romans 7:25, i stumbled across Paul talking about being a slave to God’s law. in trying to get an understanding of who a slave is, i further came across your website…God richly Bless you and all those who come across this page and may the holy spirit(our helper) continue to insight them on how to be a bondservant!!!

29. Lydia Barnett says:

Just want to say Thank You , Thank You , Thank You. eye opener
    want so much to be Christ like.

30. Confused says:

Just want to thank you for doing God’s work and sharing with us about a big servitude like a living our life like a bondservant. I’m pretty new when it comes to my walk with God. Been trying to ask God for help to have faith and to believe what his word says, bad thing is I have some issues from the way I used to live. Yes, I have repented of all the sin that I had and turned away from it. But, I know I have some demons that I need to be Delivered from. I understand what your saying about how to live “Christ Like” but, every-time I try to I just don’t have that drive to or desire to put 100%. I have so much doubt and not sure what to do about it. I want to believe what the bible says but, I just know something is wrong with my life. I read the bible and don’t understand most of it so, I try to break it down and ask God for help and it seems like I’m not getting anywhere. I pray everyday for forgiveness, healing, wisdom, knowledge, strength, and encouragement. Ever since my car accident my life has been a tornado up and down with despair, hopelessness, fear, as well as doubt. having issues with injuries, financial,employment and insurance problems I’m feeling pretty lost right now. I have also learned that sin causes sickness that’s a long story in itself so I won’t get into that at this time.

My wife is so much more advanced with her relationship with God, that I’m almost jealous but, God says, that jealousy is wrong.Galatians 5:26 says, “Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.” So then I feel worse for I have committed sin. I repented of that sin but, that doesn’t change the fact that I want a fulfilling relationship with God and to make a difference. Maybe it’s a pity party maybe it’s laziness I’m not sure I just want to get right with God and be who he wants me to be. Any help would be appreciated thanks, for letting me vent.

31. Bondservant says:

Sorry I’ve not been online for a few days so haven’t responded. Confused you’ve got a lot of things in your comment, and it’s hard to respond to without more information. But let me say that a bondservant’s wlak is not a commitment to be perfect. It’s a commitment to always move forward, never give up. If you fall, you get up, repent and move forward. Once you ask for forgiveness, the sin isn’t their to hold you back unless you hold onto the guilt. Ask forgiveness, stand up and learn and move forward putting what you’ve learned to work in helping you overcome the next time. Of course this means truly repenting from your heart and not just as a lip service.

A relationship with God is just that, a relationship. It takes time to grow. And desire for it, is a choice, something you have control over. You can choose to be free. You’ve got to choose what you truly want. James 1 talks about sin, and it’s origins in our heart. It’s also a road map to overcoming it.

As for Bible study, I’ve been meaning to getting around to writing something of a guide to help people. here’s a bit of information on how I do it. Start slow. 1 chapter a time. Understand that God’s word is complex and it takes time to build into the meat and potatoes. Start a chapter or 2 a night. Read, when something confuses you, there is something more to it that you should study. Sometimes it feels to me that it’s the Holy spirit saying, study this. Write the scripture down, text it to yourself on your phone. Read it whenever you get a spare minute. Turn it upsdie down, put the emphasis on each different word, use some of the online sites to study it. And in the end take it all to God in prayer.

It’s also important to understand that the enemy seeks to derail you. Work to keep your focus on God, on heaven, actively remember throughout the day the hope that Jesus gave us, salvation.

Prayer with God doesn’t have to be “Oh lord, thou art good.” It can be “hey God got a few mins to have a cup of coffee with me?” Talk to him as you would a friend. Let go of things that are bothering you cast your cares to God for He cares for you.

Above all, remember not to move in your own strength. Our lives are like a battlefield. Looking to God is our strength, our faith is our weapon. It takes time to learn to wield but it’s effective. When we focus on our problems, we cut off our source and start working in our own power. We just cannot overcome a leaf blower like that let alone life and the enemy. A problem comes up, bring God into it, worry comes up, bring God into it. It’s key, focus on God and bring Him into the situation.

As for sin and it causing sickness, in some ways yes I guess it can. But to say my sin caused my genetic disease that I’ve had since I had DNA, is Just crap. The enemy has used it to attack me my whole life. But God has used it for good. What the enemy means to harm us with, God uses to bless us with. I can’t tell you the lessons about faith and strength of trusting in God, it has done for me. I can’t tell you how much I’ve been blessed by learning through it, knowing what it is to truly love without limit, having seen it and experienced the other side at the hands of those that would call themselves God’s own but leave a wake of hurt and pain behind them. It would do the church well to spend a few weeks disabled to truly know what it means to comfort the hurting, or pray for the sick.

Keep this in mind, out of an overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks, where the mouth speaks the body follows as James tells us it’s the rudder of us all. Start putting the Word of God in you, read it, memorize it. Study it, if it’s confusing, find someone to talk about it with, build a iron sharpens iron relationship with another, or even your wife. It is so important to have a walk with God, it’s worth it. It’s rewarding. And all the first step takes once you give your life to God, is to committing to not giving up. This commitment to not giving up, is the bedrock of being a bondservant. “the life I now live, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave his life for me.”

32. Betty Medina says:

Thanks for taking time and writing about being a bondservant and what it really means. Every day we make decisions about big and small things of our life. The best decision we can make is to live for Christ. He set the perfect example of becoming a bondservant. Phllipians 2:7 He CHOSE to take the form of a bondservant, becoming one of us. In matthew 11:29-30 it says, “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” Surrendering my “I” is not easy, but every day I will strive to let Him live through me. Then I will be able to enjoy the abundant life in Him!

33. Betty Medina says:

You can download this small pamphlet for free online which I believe is a great supplement to read further on this subject. Its called, The Beauty of Christ Through Brokenness.

34. M J Leiker says:

Great Site. Blessings to all fellow Slaves in Christ!

Read ‘Slave’ by John MacArthur

The Bible and this book, along with it’s study guide has really helped me.

35. Robert Smoot says:

It is a blessing to be a bondservant to my God Lord and Savior !!!!!! Amen

36. Theo says:

If we look at it from a historical perspective, a bondservant did not have an alternative. A normal slave or indentured servant still had alternatives but a bondservant did not. A bondservant was indentured for life without the normal rights of other indentured servants. So, a bondservant could not choose not to be anymore.

Therefore no one can claim to be bondservant of Christ Jesus without it being revealed by The Holy Spirit to be so. We all want to serve Jesus, the difference is what price we are willing to pay to be His servant. For this reason I believe that only God can say who is bondservant.

God loves all people (saved and not-saved) the same way, and not all saved people are committed to the cause of Christ the same way. We all have different graces, even 1 Cor 10:13 helps us understand that the test a person is going thru reveals what God is trusting the person to go through and remain standing. Our tests do not have the same intensity.

37. Bondservant says:

I would only point out to your statement Theo that it is a bit of a generalization to say only those who God says calls can be a bondservant. In truth we are all bondservants, we were all bought at a very high price. We were all redeemed by the Blood of Christ, we all came through the same way to God. We are all called to cast off all that hinders and run the race in such a way as to win the prize. We all made Jesus our LORD and savior. It’s not one or the other. God is supposed to come first in our lives. To me this is really the essence of being a bondservant and a way of thought that more should follow.

It may be comforting to think we don’t have to go that far to walk with God, but the truth is He went that far to walk with us. I also agree that God loves all people, that’s something many inside the church forget, but I’m not understanding what your saying by this paragraph but I agree that the levels we are tested by are different from person to person. That’s a large reason Christ should be our measuring stick and not the guy next to you. What may be hard for me to go through could be easy for you.

38. charles ngunjiri says:

Thanks for your response on that description of the bond servant. Doing a BS study on the book of James. God bless you as we purpose to serve Him and daily walk in His ways.

39. vern says:

I have been following the concept of willing service for over 40 years.
    shalom.

we are a christian black metal band.
    the music is not completed yet but we are faithful in christ.

40. ibrahim says:

Thanks for all the contributions on bond servant.Let me add a little of what i understand.In the old testament, Jewish slaves are to be set free at Jubilee(year of freedom),however, this is not forced on them.They can decide to remain slaves for ever by making a bond which is symbolized by piercing of the ear.Such slaves deliberately choose to be totally committed to their masters.Such is the kind of submission Christ requires of us,not sacrifice and offering(psalms 40:6).

41. brandon king says:

Very good insight on bondservanthood. Chips are “all in” for Jesus. Escellially for being called to die for our faith. We must be radical for Jesus.

42. Mark says:

Tim,
    I just quoted your website in a podcast I just posted.

Here’s the link, if you’re interested. > http://www.markveritasshow.com/2012/08/12/romans-part-1-jesus-friend-or-foe/

God Bless,
    Mark

43. Melissa Grogan says:

Hi Mark,
    Just wanted to thank you for such great insight, wisdom, and writing about being a bondservant! My husband and I are the youth leaders at our church and I want to teach about it. I was studying Rick Renner’s devotional lesson from August 28th to incorporate into the lesson that uses 1 Cor.4:1. The word in our Bible says ministers of Christ, but the Greek word, huperetas, means slave or servant.

That brought a memory of an exchange I had with the Lord at the alter during church one Sunday morning several months ago when the Lord asked me if I was His bondservant. I remembered that OT released bondservants could agree to give up their freedom and totally devote their lives freely to their master by having their ear pierced by an awl to the post. I love God so I said yes of course I am His bondservant. I was “seeing” that awl, and to be honest since I have pierced ears, I realized that maybe that wouldn’t be too costly. Funny how our minds think sometimes.

Then He asked if He could pierce my hands and my heart was gripped and I began to cry. Yes, I agreed, that too. But then He asked about my feet and I just about came undone and began sobbing. Oh the cost! And that my Savior would ask the same of me that our Father asked of Him. To be like Christ in His suffering and in the joy of doing what the Father asks me to do!
    I wish I could say that it has been easy, but no. Full of joy? Many times. Do I still stumble? Yes, but I do stand again by taking His outstretched hand!
    My burden is that this young generation would count the costs and say yes too!

Thanks again for your teaching and the comments. May I copy and use some of your teaching?

In Him \o/ Melissa

44. Bondservant says:

Feel free to use as you will. I’ve always allowed it, would be appreciated if you pass the site on to those it may help though.

45. Marlena says:

Thank you for the great meaning of being a Bondsetvant and the Scriptures for which I can meditate on that will enlighten me even more.

46. Carolyn Gaupo says:

WOW! Thank you so much for all of this. I will be leading a Women’s Bible Study group soon. I had a general understanding of what a bondservant was but wanted to be sure I wasn’t passing on wrong or bad information so I went ‘web surfing’. I stumbled on your definiton and felt like I had fallen into a gold mine.

There is far more than a definition here. This is rich solid teaching. I really appreciate your time and shared knowledge. Is there another place I can go on the web, or to a book store and find more of what you have written?

Thanks again and may God Bless you.
    Carolyn

47. Bondservant says:

I have notebooks full of stuff I’ve written on it over the years but sadly those are hard for even me to read haha. But everything else I’ve written is right here. Feel free to ask for some topics I’d love suggestions.

48. Larry Andrade says: